Over the 2019 financial year, the transformational Queen’s Wharf Brisbane development reached significant milestones. These included:
- Major construction planning commenced for the Rosewood hotel, the Dorsett hotel and a double-tower The Star-branded hotel to be located beneath an iconic public Sky Deck
- Excavation works progressed throughout the year, on track to be completed in early FY2020
- The awarding of contractor status to Multiplex for major construction including:
- shell and core works covering the basement, base services, tower structures and the façade of the main integrated resort
- four high-rise tower shells in the integrated resort to be ready for later fit-out works
- podium level to be nestled between the towers
- an iconic Sky Deck that will sit 100 metres above street level
- five levels of basement carpark
- back of house facilities including kitchen, laundry, staff cafeteria, amenities and central energy plant.
- Works commenced on foundations at the base of the development, enabling the build of the basement which will feature thousands of car parks for the precinct, with construction works expected to reach George Street level in late-2020
The transformation of Brisbane’s riverfront opposite South Bank, which commenced with the creation of a vibrant new public space comprising a 450 metre above-water pedestrian Mangrove Walk and a new public recreational area called Waterline Park – well underway, with completion due in the second half of the 2019 calendar year.
Main construction works have commenced, with the erection of 10 new tower cranes scheduled across the second half of the 2019 calendar year marking the transition from excavation to construction and will continue throughout the 2020 calendar year.
The Group will continue to operate Treasury Brisbane until the new integrated resort opens and the transition to a new casino occurs, at which point the two existing heritage buildings will be subsequently repurposed into a hotel operated by The Ritz-Carlton and a premium retail precinct.
THE QUEEN’S WHARF BRISBANE DEVELOPMENT INCLUDES A RANGE OF
TOURISM, INFRASTRUCTURE AND RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENTS
new bars and restaurants
NEW RETAIL SPACE
4 NEW HOTELS
including the world renowned The Ritz-Carlton and the 6-star Rosewood, which will provide more than 1,000 premium hotel rooms
NEVILLE BONNER BRIDGE
connecting South Bank to the Brisbane CBD
WORLD-CLASS GAMING FACILITIES
(to replace Brisbane’s existing Treasury casino) which will comprise less than 5% of the development footprint
Restored and re-purposed
The equivalent of 12 football fields In size
More than 100 metres above William Street
The Queen’s Wharf Brisbane development is the largest private sector project in Queensland and will employ more than 2,000 workers during peak construction and create more than 8,000 jobs in Queensland when fully operational.
THE STAR GOLD COAST
The Star Gold Coast’s transformation has positioned the property as a worldclass integrated resort and the region’s premier entertainment and tourism destination.
The 2019 financial year saw the delivery, as well as commencement of various key projects at The Star Gold Coast, including:
- The launch of the Gold Coast’s ultimate buffet experience, Harvest Buffet, with poolside views, stunning indoor and outdoor spaces and private dining
- The opening of the new Oasis premium gaming experiences at The Star Gold Coast
- The commencement of the main gaming floor upgrade and expansion works, with expected completion in the second half of the 2019 calendar year.
With these projects delivered and underway, the next phase of the redevelopment and expansion is advancing with the construction of the Dorsett hotel and apartments tower by Destination Gold Coast Consortium (DGCC) progressing on site, with expected completion in the 2022 financial year.
The 700+ key hotel and apartment tower, being delivered by DGCC, is a joint venture development comprising The Star Entertainment Group and its Hong Kong-based partners, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises Limited and Far East Consortium International Limited.
On 2 November 2018, The Star Entertainment Group, together with our partners welcomed the Queensland Government’s approval of our broader master plan concept and future vision for The Star Gold Coast. The master plan would see an additional $2 billion tourism investment at The Star Gold Coast and deliver a further four towers and associated resort facilities on Broadbeach Island such as new restaurants and bars, and increased entertainment and retail.
Following this approval, the Group and its partners have launched the second stage of The Star Residences, Epsilon. Subject to pre-sales, Epsilon will feature a soaring 63-storey mixed-use tower incorporating 457 residential apartments, and a 200+ suite 5-star hotel with an exceptional retail offering of fine-dining, gourmet delis, cafes and wine bars.
THE STAR SYDNEY
The Star Sydney, one of Sydney’s most awarded and luxurious entertainment and tourism destinations, has seen further enhancements and premium product offering unveiled throughout the year.
In the 2019 financial year, The Star Sydney commenced or delivered many key projects, including:
- The relocation and opening of the interim Sovereign Room and the Chairman’s premium gaming areas, enabling the redevelopment of the current location into Sydney’s best private gaming and entertainment venue, Sovereign Resort
- Launch of Flying Fish, The Star Sydney’s seafood restaurant and bar overlooking Sydney harbour
- Rebranding of the Astral Tower and Residences to The Star Grand and Residences, aligning our product offering across Sydney, the Gold Coast and eventually Brisbane upon the opening of Queen’s Wharf Brisbane
- Completion of the new The Star Grand Lobby and Porte-Cochère redevelopment
- Launch of G&Tea, a bar and tea house located in The Star Grand Lobby
- Launch of Jade Rabbit, the new feature-bar on the main gaming floor
- The unveiling of the new Grand Foyer showcasing the world’s first permanent indoor light and interactive digital art foyer in an integrated resort
- Commencement and completion of Chuuka, The Star Sydney’s newest signature restaurant and first off-property establishment, located at Jones Bay Wharf. Chuuka opened in early July 2019.
With these projects at The Star Sydney fully delivered, the next phase of redevelopment and expansion is advancing with the following works program:
- The advancement of Sydney’s best private gaming room and entertainment venue, Sovereign Resort, expected to be delivered towards the end of the 2020 financial year
- The opening of the new Oasis and Vantage premium gaming experiences, with the launch expected to coincide with the launch of the new Sovereign Resort.
The Star Entertainment Group continued to progress additional proposed development works with its joint venture partners, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises Limited and Far East Consortium International Limited.
The proposed development works at The Star Sydney features:
- A new hotel and residential tower proposed to be operated by the world renowned The Ritz‑Carlton
- Additional food and beverage, retail, function and event space, as well as other resort facilities and attractions.
At the time of writing, the Independent Planning Commission was deliberating on the proposal.